Tuesday, November 13, 2007

JoePa on Playing at MSU

Michigan State has been a very tough place for your teams to play since you joined the Big Ten. What about Spartan Stadium makes it difficult for you there?

I think all the Big Ten stadiums are tough to play in. Michigan State has a great tradition. Somebody asked me one time which was the best team we ever played against, and I thought about it, and I thought we could put three or four in that category. Syracuse in '59, Michigan State in '64/'65 was probably as good as you're going to...Bubba Smith. They had three or four first round draft picks. They give us a good licking, and I mean a good licking.

The coach, Duffy Daugherty, if he hadn't been from Pennsylvania, he probably could have scored 100 points on us that day. They have had a really great tradition, and they have had some great coaches. And one of the guys I respect as much as anybody, George Perles, who was the head coach at Michigan State when we got into the Big Ten...Nick Saban was there...They're tough to play because they have good athletes. They have great fan support, and they have good coaching. So I think that combination makes it tough any way you play it. The Big Ten has got enthusiastic crowds; they're big time crowds.

No comments: