Monday, November 03, 2008

Virus limits Ringer to 21 carries, 54 yards

Eric Lacy / The Detroit News

EAST LANSING -- If you're wondering why Javon Ringer looked slower than usual Saturday against Wisconsin, he had a legitimate excuse.

Ringer wasn't near 100 percent healthy because of a virus he caught during the week that led to a 10-pound weight loss in a matter of days.

"That's what the doctors tell me," Ringer said. "I haven't eaten, by body had been aching, I haven't been sleeping. My body has been hot one moment and cold the next."

The Spartans' top running said he weighed in at about 192 Saturday, the lightest he's been in years. Once the appetite is back, Ringer will know he's recovered.

"I love to eat," Ringer said. "Once I start eating, I know I'll gain my weight back quick."

Entering Saturday's game as the nation's leader in rushing touchdowns (16) and carries (300), the 5-foot-9 playmaker finished Saturday with a season-low 54 yards on 21 carries.


Ringer did, however, score two key touchdowns to get MSU back in the game.

Both came from distances of two yards late in the third quarter and midway through the fourth.

In post-game interviews, Ringer expressed plenty of happiness about the win, but also some frustration that he couldn't be in the best shape.

"A lot of times I felt like maybe things could be a little different if I had a little more kick in my step," Ringer said. "My teammates knew I wasn't feeling too good, my offensive line knew I wasn't feeling too good.

"I'm just glad everybody continued to work. This is a team thing."

NOTE FROM SpartyOn.com :

Despite only carrying for 54 yards this Saturday, Ringer amazingly is still the #1 running back in the country leading all others with 321 carries, 1,427 yards and 18 touchdowns. Even more unbelievable is the fact that in those 321 carries, Ringer has not fumbled once all year.

No comments: